Monday, January 27, 2014

~Birthday Week~ Birthday Shirt

     Happy Monday everyone! I hope everyone is staying warm, especially if you are being hit by these mini blizzards! In a week my son will be turning 2 =( I cannot believe it, time has gone by quickly with my daughter but with him it seems like it has been put into super speed! Moving has still been put on hold because this week will be very busy for me as I do everything for my children's parties, so I thought that this would be a great time to do a weeks worth of planning a birthday party on a budget but making it look like you spent a TON of money on it. I always get compliments from people at the parties and showers I do, asking me how much things cost, and how I did it.

     Today we will start off with one of the most important things your birthday boy/girl needs, and that is a birthday outfit! Now you can always go online and get something and pay a ton of money for it, or you could do it yourself and get exactly what you want! There is several ways you can make a birthday outfit, you can go to Walmart or and craft store and get iron on printer paper make an image on your computer and then iron it on to your shirt OR you can do appliques. There is a lot of custom made shirts on Etsy and they of course usually cost an arm and a leg so here is a simple way you can make yours.


Supplies and Tutorial 
  • Felt
  • t-shirt
  • scissors
  • sewing machine
  • coordinating thread

  1. Find an image of your birthday theme, my son is having a hulk party, I found a picture on google and I free handed it on paper, you can also print out the image if you feel you lack artistic skills. I think took another paper and make a pattern by only copying certain parts like the head without the hair, pants, etc. 
  2. Cut out your pattern and pin it to your felt then cut. 
  3. Place your felt pieces together like you want them on the shirt, you will most likely have to cut and make adjustments to certain pieces so they will go together properly.
  4. Pin your item to your shirt and then sew together. When you come to the edge of your felt and need to tun place your needle down, left your foot up, turn your shirt in the direction you need to sew, and then place the foot back down and continue sewing. 
  5. Continue doing this on all pieces until you have finished. Certain parts were harder than others to sew around the edges sew I sew straight across, and the eyes I hand stitched. 
  6. Take your shirt and put it in the washing machine to get all the felt fuzzies off and then you are ready to wear! 
     For boys I say pair this with a plain pair of pants and girls can have a cute tutu, skirt, or pants. 

Cost
Felt = .92c 
Shirt = $2 (garanimals at walmart)
I already had thread at home but if you need to buy some it cost $2-$3
Total w/thread $6 Total wo/thread $3
Compared to $20+





No comments :

Post a Comment