Saturday, January 25, 2014

Incredibly Easy Infinity Scarf

     So thanks to the snow and some other factors we are still behind on our little renovations which means that my week of showing how to do a neutral room, that is cute AND on a budget has been put on hold. Hopefully after next week we will be able to resume them! Until then I am going to work on a little things here and there that I know you will Looove! Today's project is incredibly easy and is something you can work on with your kids if they are interested in learning how to sew, you don't have to use pins, there is no ironing and minimal cutting! It is just an awesome and fast little project!



     So scarves are really "in" right now, you can get them in all types of colors prints and designs. If you want basic patterns you can go to Walmart, Kmart, or the mall and get them pretty cheap, but if your a nerdette like me and want something Star-Trek, Doctor Who, or comic book, you are left to the mercy of Etsy sellers. I saw this same scarf I made on Etsy for $30 dollars (not including shipping). So lets make these prints affordable to the rest of us. 

Supplies and Tutorial 
  • 1 - 1 1/2 yard any type fabric (cotton, flannel, jersey knit)
  • scissors
  • coordinating thread


  1.  Take your fabric and unfold it, there will be a beautiful line going right down the middle, the line should be going down and splitting the fabric Hot Dog Style Take your scissors and cut right down this line. Then take your ends and sew them right sides together, it should make a nice long strip of fabric.
  2. Fold your fabric over right sides together and sew along the edge making sure your backstitch at the beginning and end.
  3. Flip your fabric inside out.
  4. Now take your ends and place one inside the other. Take the fabric on the outside and fold the raw edges down (like you would when hemming an item) Now sew right across the edge, and your finished! 

I used a cotton print fabric, and I got 1 1/2 yards but its really long and I had to wrap it around my neck 3 times which to me made it bulky in the back. Next one I will be making with 1 yard of fabric. The total cost of this project was $10 and then I had a coupon that gave me 25% off. If your looking for any kind of comic book, super hero or "nerdy" theme fabric Jo-Anne's is the place to go, I had a hard time choosing a print! Wal-mart also sometimes carries super hero fabrics, and I have never seen any at Hobby Lobby. You can also buy these prints online but they are much more expensive! If you have any questions on this tutorial please leave a comment and happy sewing! 

No comments :

Post a Comment