Saturday, November 30, 2013

Kickin Off Christmas! Felt Garland tutorial!

Well I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and if you went Black Friday shopping I hope all went well and no injuries were had! Today I woke up and was still on a black Friday Adrenaline High so I decided to get all of my decorations, lights, etc. up & I succeeded!  I also had time to "hack" or make my daughters new Elf on the Shelf Snowflake bendable, AND make a tutorial to kick your Christmas decorating off right! Everyone say whoo hoo!

Easy Felt Garland


See how pretty my tree is? It really brightens up my room and window but to me it felt like there was still something missing. I remember when I was a little girl we would make garland out of anything and everything, I really didn't have money to buy pretty garland from my husbands layoff, and I'm not a fan of the tinsel garland so I thought "Hey why not felt?" Its so cheap and you can get it in all colors & prints! 

Supplies
Scissors
Pen, Marking Chalk, Marker, whatever works for you
Felt (I got 4 sheets)
Sewing machine
Something round, size of your choice


I used an old top from my old soda stream bottle to trace my circles its about 1.5inches, I know you can buy a gadget that cuts paper in a circle but I wasn't sure if it cut felt so I didn't bother to look for it or buy it, but if you do let me know if it works. 

1. Trace your circles onto the felt don't worry about the color coming through, I cut on the inside of my traced circle and you could never tell I traced with a black marker. 
2. Cut your felt out
3. Arrange them the way you want it to be seen in the garland, my garland had no rhyme or reason I just put it in a pile mixed it up and whatever piece I picked up was next in line ;)


4. Start sewing your circles back stitch on the first to make sure its secure, then slowly add circles and start making a chain 

5. Sew all the circles you have then when you get to the last one backstitch and your done! 





Much prettier I think! It will look so much more "Christmas-y" when I get my snow added, but that is another post ;) So let me break down the size for you, I bought 6 pieces of felt from Hobby Lobby, the brown was 25c a piece and the white and green was 50c a piece because of the glitter. So $2.50 plus I used a 40% off coupon, so I paid about $2 for all of it. It made a 17 foot long strand of garland! I cut a small piece of the end of mine which is how I got it to swag the way it is. This is a great project for kids just learning how to sew because all they need to do is sew a straight line, the cutting and tracing is also really easy I say this is a 6 year old and up project with adult supervision. Its fun, cheap, super pretty, and versatile! I wish I had waited to decorate my tree because I would have loved to wrap it around my tree! If you have any questions let me know! If you make one I would love to see pictures! 






No comments :

Post a Comment