Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Easy Peasy Rag Quilt

    Well the 1st Week of January is over and I cannot believe it! We plan on being out of this house and into our old apartment by the end of this month, it might sound like a good bit of time but with all we are needing to do I can foresee it being here before I know it! If you read my last blogpost  http://momvenger.blogspot.com/2013_12_31_archive.html you will know that my kids will be sharing a room when we move. So this means that I needed to find something neutral that I thought was cute, and something that they would both like as well. I browsed Pinterest and all I saw was a bunch of generic rooms with no real theme, just girl/boy colors. I had all but lost hope until I saw some Mustache fabric at Hobby Lobby! I knew right then and there I could have a neutral black & white room, with pops of pink and turquoise! 
Of course you cannot go to a store and buy blankets and such in this theme so that means I needed to make it. I posted a picture of the finished product and I got a ton of messages on it, so guess what? Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to a couple of tutorials showing the making of the essentials for the bedroom, and then you can use it to customize your little superhero's room! 

Today we will start with a very important part of any bedroom, the comforter or quilt! 
I really love the rag quilts and they are so easy to do so this is what we went with! 


So this is a great quilt for any beginning person who wants to learn how to sew, or is new to sewing. You will be making these for everyone in your family and every room in your house! 

Supplies
7 yards of fabric (I used 45')
Quilt batting 
sharp scissors
coordinating thread
Sewing machine 


   1.  Get your fabric and cut it into 10 inch squares (they should measure 10in on all sides)

    2. Cut your batting an inch smaller, the square shape does not have to be as nice looking as the fabric 

   3.  Make a "sandwich" take a piece of fabric lay it right side down then add a piece of batting then add another piece of fabric with right side facing upward. Take your fabric sandwich and sew an X across it making sure to back-stitch to keep it from unraveling 

   4.  Next make a plan on how you want your quilt to look, do you want it to have a pattern, or do like me and make it a little crazy? You can do this 2 ways, by laying out your quilt squares together on the table or making a chart on a piece of paper. Once you are ready put your squares together and sew up the sides, I used 3/4in.

   5. Sew 4 of your squares together and this will be a row, then repeat. (I made a twin size quilt and it has 7 rows of 4 squares) Once you are done sewing 7 rows take them and put right sides together and sew 3/4in just like you did with the individual squares.

   6. All that is left is to take some sharp scissors and make little cuts on the fabric sicking up, then pop it in the washer and dryer. This will make the frays nice and soft and your whole quilt cuddly! Now put it on your bed and cuddle up with a good book! 



No comments :

Post a Comment